Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cheating the Rules

Jay jokingly says, "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough." 

Daycare has lots of rules.  Lots and lots of rules.  I understand that most of them are for liability reasons but they can get a little out of hand.  My least favorite rule is that nothing (and I mean nothing) can go in the crib with John Henry.  No blanket, no lovie, nothing!  Because John Henry likes to burrow as he naps, he doesn't nap well in the crib.  We've tried letting him cry.  It doesn't work.  We've tried rocking him and then putting him in the crib.  It doesn't work.  We've tried letting him fall asleep somewhere else and then moving him to the crib.  It doesn't work.  The second his back hits the crib mattress he wakes up.  If he can't burrow, he doesn't sleep.  I was beginning to worry that he would never get more than a 20 minute nap at daycare.  That was until I went to pick him up yesterday...


You may be asking, "Where in the world is he sleeping?"  I'll show you:


It's like a blow up pool that has all the soft toys.  I don't quite understand how burrowing in a sea of toys outside of the crib is any safer than burrowing in the crib but I don't really care.  John Henry had slept for over an hour and a half in that pool of toys.  I also realize that it's probably one of the grosser things he could sleep in.  Who knows how long those toys have been around and how many kids have drooled, spit up, coughed, or goodness knows what else on them.  It's not like the rubber toys that are sterilized at the end of the day.  I'm pretty sure that these toys have never been cleaned.  Oh well, cheating is dirty.  And if he has to get dirty to get his naps, then so be it!


No comments:

Post a Comment