Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mom

My best friend's grandmother passed away this summer.  When I checked her blog she mentioned that she couldn't write about the death of her family's matriarch.  I can understand.  How do you write about someone who has had such an influence on your life and is now gone?  And even if you could write about it, would you be able to share those feelings and memories with those reading it?  I am in a similar situation. Last month, I lost a mom.  Not a birth mom, not a mom by marriage, not a mother-in-law.  I lost a women who had the title of mom without being part of the Yeary, Schuler, or Starr clan.  She was my other best friend's mom who became a stand-in-mother when I needed her.  I called her mom and it seemed to be the only appropriate name to use.

In high school and after college my life was a little crazy.  There was a lot going on during those times and although I had my own family, I needed some extra support from mom.  She was different from my family.  Jewish (at least by birth), Liberal (although she did once vote for Reagan), and definitely Eccentric (in the best way possible).  Although she was nothing like my family, she seemed to understand me and was always able to put me at ease.  I could talk to her for hours.  It helped that I was able to live with her and my friend's family.  Not once but twice.  She was always able to make me feel like I belonged.  I think this was an amazing quality as I am the opposite of her.  Christian, Republican (or at least conservative), and Reserved.  She never judged me and was always encouraging me to do what I wanted to do instead of what I felt I should do.  She also understood and never made me feel bad when I chose the responsible route instead of the one I might have wanted more.  I always felt better after our talks.

She passed away from lung cancer.  It wasn't a quick death.  In the end, I was praying that her body would let her go so she could be in peace.  The woman deserved it.  She had a brilliant mind and the least her decrepit body could do was give her some peace. 

I miss her.  I miss our talks.  I'm fortunate that she was in my life.  Even if only for 16 years.  She helped influence my life and without question, she made it better. 

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlanta/obituary.aspx?n=judith-k-lentini&pid=144357619      

No comments:

Post a Comment