Monday, February 21, 2011

Nap time

My friend Lauren and I crack up when people or the baby books refer to an infant's day sleeping as nap time.  In the very beginning the sleeping intervals during the day are as long as the sleeping intervals during the night.  So calling it nap time sounds a little silly.  Now at almost 10 weeks it sounds a little more appropriate.  John Henry is sleeping anywhere from 6 to 8.5 hour stretches at night and 10 minutes to 2 hours stretches during the day.  Those 2 hour stretches can definitely be classified as naps.  The 10 minutes, not so much.  I can't figure out why some naps are more successful than others.  The one thing I have figured out is that John Henry will not nap in his crib.  Apparently the only acceptable places for a nap are pictured below:


In the swing.  But only sometimes and it's never for very long.

On the couch surrounded by a blanket and pillow.  During the late morning and mid afternoon times this is the most successful napping place.

In our bed but only between his 6 AM wake up and his 9 AM feeding.  It's the weirdest thing.  He goes back to sleep in his crib during the 2-3 AM wake up with no problems but after he wakes up at 6 AM and eats, he only stays asleep in his crib for 30 minutes.  So when he wakes up again, we put him in the middle of our bed and he almost always falls right back to sleep. 

On his belly.  This is more wishful thinking than reality.  He's only napped on his belly twice and it only lasted for 20 minutes.

After posing for pictures...

In my arms.

On Daddy's shoulder.

He also naps in the car seat but I don't have a recent picture of that. 

Like I said.  This kid naps anywhere but the crib.  It's a mystery to me and I pray I can figure it out sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment