Sunday, April 3, 2011

What's Old Becomes New

Almost every child grows up with a favorite something that becomes their security item.  Some children have favorite stuffed animals, pacis or blankets.  I was one that grew up with a favorite blanket.  Jay had a favorite stuffed dog named Snowflake.  Although it's been a long time since we've used these items, we still have them close by.  Snowflake is in the attic but my blanket is in my bottom dresser drawer.  I don't ever pull it out but for some reason I can't bring myself to put it in storage. 

(1982)
And now I know why....

The other day, John Henry was inconsolable.  He didn't want to be held, he was tired but refused to sleep and just couldn't stop crying.  We were in our bedroom so I pulled out the blanket and tucked it under his arm.  Like magic, he stopped crying.  He sat there weaving his fingers through the holes of my blanket and it instantly soothed him.  It's the same thing I used to do when I was little.  I don't know what it is about that blanket.  Maybe it's because it's so worn and soft.  Maybe it's because my grandmother, who was the sweetest woman I've ever known, made it with love.  Maybe it was just good timing.  Who knows.  Whatever it was worked and I know my grandmother would have been proud.


(2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment