Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Fairy Godmother

I should be in bed. Really. I should be asleep in bed because I have to wake up bright and early tomorrow morning. Tomorrow my goddaughter is going to be baptized and I need to be at the church bright and early. If nothing else, I HAVE to be on time.

And even though I know I need to be in bed, I can't help but sit up and think. Think if I will ever have a child. Who would I choose as godparents? What name would the child have?

I'm being silly. I don't have a child. I have a dog.

And as much as I love my black, three and half legged dog, I may never have that same experience of choosing a godparent. Trust me. I'm not one of those crazies that treat their dog like a child. Okay, maybe Lady has special treats but she is not treated like a baby. For instance, she doesn't have a car seat!

And although we don't have a car seat, we do have an empty room. It's the room that no one talks about but assumes will be the baby room. But what if there is no baby? Then what will it be?

I may never be a parent. I may never fill the empty room in my house. But I will be there for my goddaughter. I will be on time for her baptism. And hopefully, if she is ever in need of help, or in a tight spot, she will be comfortable enough to call me. Because I will help her in every way possible. I may not be a fairy godmother, but I can be a godmother. ( With a little pixie dust for special effects!)

-ASS

No comments:

Post a Comment